Tarporley Hospital was founded in 1919 as a War Memorial for those killed in the Great War from Tarporley and District.
It became part of the National Health Service in 1948 and was threatened with closure for the next 40 years! That it survived was due entirely to the determination and intense loyalty of the local people, who fought a long and often acrimonious campaign to save it.
In 1987 the hospital left the NHS and became a Charitable Trust. It is now administered by a local Management Committee for the benefit of the local people.
Although the hospital is partly funded by the area PCT, a great deal of funding has to be raised locally. This is done in many ways but in large part by a very active League of Friends. This hospital, with the exception of respite care, makes no charges for its services.
Since leaving the NHS the hospital has been largely rebuilt to a very high standard, the number of beds increased from 10 to 17 and a new physiotherapy department built. The hospital now offers in-patient treatment, a 24 hour minor casualty service, facilities for minor surgery, out-patients clinics and out-patient and in-patient physiotherapy. It also offers respite care and care for the terminally ill. We are so very lucky to have such a facility in our practice area.
Our practice in conjunction with four other local practices makes full use of all the facilities the hospital has to offer.